free web stats

What is Plantar Fasciitis and How Can I Deal With It?


a person with plantar fasciitis massaging the footHaving pain in your feet is not only uncomfortable, but it can also limit your movement. Nobody likes to have sore feet, or tired feet, after walking for a while. So imagine having that same pain simply from standing, or walking to the bathroom. This pain can be known as plantar fasciitis or “Policeman’s Heel” for those adverse to speaking Latin. If you have regular pain in the heel of your foot, then you need to see a foot specialist. Dr. Juan A. Gonzalez, DPM is certified to work with plantar fasciitis. Having a professional help you deal with your foot issues ensures a good recovery. 

What Is Plantar Fasciitis?

Plantar fasciitis is referred to as “policemen’s heel” because it’s a common ailment police officers face from standing for long hours. As the name suggests, the problem is focused in the heel of your foot. More specifically, it is focused on a ligament that connects your heel to your toes. If this ligament becomes twisted, bruised, or torn, it can cause pain throughout the heel. The pain is identified by location and cause. If you have policemen’s heel, you should only feel pain in the heel area. In addition, you should only feel that pain when you stand or walk. Most people describe the pain similar to the kind of pain felt after walking for too long. 

Are There Any Treatments?

The treatments of plantar fasciitis are varied. This is because the doctor treating you will have to diagnose how bad the damage to your foot ligament is. Based on this, your doctor will give recommendations for treatments. These treatments can be minor therapy, medication, and surgery. Minor therapy is geared more toward middle-aged to older people, or for people already having issues with mobility. Typically this involves some stretches.  Medication is not a treatment so much as a way to help relieve the pain. Typically this is only recommended if the damage is severe. When the issue is too severe, your doctor will recommend surgery. Plantar fascitiis surgery can be varied and it’s best to discuss your options with your doctor.

Dr. Juan A. Gonzalez, DPM is Ready to Help

Pain in the feet discourages all kind of movement. It may start off as a minor bother, but it can continue to advance until the damage is permanent. If you have been having unusual pain in your heel for two days or more, then you should see a specialist. Dr. Juan A. Gonzalez, DPM can help you deal with plantar fasciitis. He can help you recover and manage the pain in your foot. Contact the office of Dr. Juan A. Gonzalez, DPM. 


Share this blog here: